Bearing the names of principal engineers Bill Shafer, Philip Kline and John Warren, SKW was originally founded in 1950 and known as an engineering firm with an emphasis in infrastructure and land surveying.
Building on a legacy of engineering and surveying expertise that dates back to 1885, SKW continued steady growth through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. In 1992, A.C. Kirkwood & Associates (ACK) joined SKW, and brought with it industry prominence in mechanical, electrical and structural engineering. Building on ACK’s energy industry prominence, SKW expanded its capabilities as power plant, substation, pipeline and distribution designers.
In 2003 and 2005, SKW opened offices in North Kansas City and Columbia, Missouri, solidifying commitments to the energy and infrastructure market sectors.
In 2007, SKW entered into the Oklahoma market by opening an office in Tulsa, and relocated its corporate office through purchase of a building in Lenexa, Kansas.
The new millennium brought rapid growth to SKW’s energy division. During this time SKW gained national exposure as an industry leading land surveying firm with the capability to serve interstate pipelines.
In 2012, SKW formed Enterprise Solutions, Inc. to formerly offer Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) services, which deliver ready-to-use solutions to the oil and gas, power, alternative power and water/wastewater industries. Within SES, SKW has a well-established panel shop, which offers customized control panel design, fabrication and installation.